Injuries and incidents on cruise ships, cargo vessels, pleasure craft, jet skis and other vessels are treated differently than other types of legal injury claims. A special body of laws, conventions and treaties collectively called Admiralty & maritime law establish legal rules applicable to civil litigation and insurance claims related to ships, shipping and offshore work. When a legal question arises about the rights and responsibilities of seamen, passengers and shipowners, maritime law will provides the answers.
Because the laws governing maritime issues are specialized, people that are injured or harm at sea must seek assistance from a skilled maritime lawyer. Lipcon, Margulies, Alsina & Winkleman, P.A. is a maritime firm that represents clients from Miami, Florida, throughout the United States and worldwide.
The dedicated maritime lawyers at our firm are trusted experts who are consulted by major media organizations on maritime issues. The unparalleled successes of our attorneys in representing passengers and crew members has also resulted in numerous accolades. Clients who need serious legal help to ensure catastrophic, life-changing injuries are fully compensated under the law turn to Lipcon, Margulies, Alsina & Winkleman, P.A. for the representation that they need to stand up against some of the largest companies in the maritime industry.
Learn more about our attorneys, our many success stories, and the cases that we handle to find out why Lipcon, Margulies, Alsina & Winkleman, P.A. is the firm to trust with your injury claim. When you are ready for personalized advice on how to protect your rights under maritime laws, give us a call at any time to find out how we can help you. Our consultation is free and we only handle injury cases on a contingency fee basis which simply means we are never paid a penny unless and until we are able to make a successful recovery for you.
We Have the Skills Needed to Handle Your Case
The attorneys at Lipcon, Margulies, Alsina & Winkleman, P.A. include some board certified by the Florida Bar Association in Admiralty and Maritime law. Board certification comes with strict requirements. To qualify for certification, attorneys must have years of experience and detailed knowledge within the field. Attorneys must pass an examination and periodically renew their certification to remain board certified. When you need to ensure your lawyer knows the laws applicable to your civil case arising from injuries at sea or other maritime-related issues, looking for certification can help you find a trusted legal advocate.
Our team of attorneys have over 165 years of combined experience, making them the ideal advocates for those injured on a ship, offshore oil rig or vessel. Our attorneys include:
- Charles Lipcon, who founded Lipcon, Margulies, Alsina & Winkleman, P.A. to provide personalized, high-quality representation to maritime law clients and to all injured clients. For more than 40 years, this National Merit Scholar has been litigating complex maritime matters and has been AV rated for 26 consecutive years.
- Jason R. Margulies, who also earned his law degree at University of Miami, has more than 20 years’ experience and has received impeccable ratings, including an AV Preeminent 5 out of 5 rating and a 10 out of 10 rating from Avvo.
- Ricardo V. Alsina, a University of Miami graduate with a Martindale-Hubbell rating of AV. This is the highest rating in the industry for legal ability and compliance with rules of professional ethics.
- Michael A. Winkleman, an experienced trial lawyer with numerous multimillion dollar verdicts, who is a trusted resource on cruise ship law for major news programming including the Today Show, Inside Edition, 20/20, Fox & Friends, and many more. Florida Trend Magazine named Mr. Winkleman one of the Top Attorneys under 40.
Learn more about our partners and the rest of the highly experienced maritime lawyers on our team.
Every one of the attorneys a Lipcon, Margulies, Alsina & Winkleman, P.A. is a full-time legal professional with courtroom experience and unparalleled skills in the field of maritime and injury law. Every member of our team brings different skills and abilities to the table, ensuring we can offer our clients all the legal services they need, with all representation provided by attorneys with diverse viewpoints and different core strengths.
Whether you were hurt on a cruise ship, injured while working at sea, or suffered any other type of catastrophic personal injury, our firm has a lawyer with experience handling cases similar to yours. Let the breadth and scope of our experience put your mind at ease by trusting us to fight on your behalf after you or someone you love has been hurt.
What Types of Cases Can LMAW Help With?
Lipcon, Margulies, Alsina & Winkleman, P.A. helps anyone harmed aboard a vessel, whether you were working or traveling for pleasure. Our attorneys represent clients after:
- Cruise ship accidents or injuries
- Cruise ship rape and sexual assault
- Overboard accidents
- Accidents during shore excursions
- Injuries on offshore oil rigs
- Recreational boating and water sport accidents
- Catastrophic personal injuries
- Crew member injuries
Every different type of case presents its own unique challenges. For those injured while aboard a cruise, for example, obtaining evidence from an incident at sea can be a complicated process- – especially if you saw the ship’s doctor and the doctor is not forthcoming with information about the incident. A comprehensive investigation must begin as soon as possible after the incident and should occur under the oversight of an attorney familiar with gathering the evidence necessary to make a successful cruise ship accident claim.
Our attorneys have prevailed in various types of claims, from helping cruise ship passengers and cruise ship workers, to helping victims who were hurt when they were on shore excursions in foreign countries they cruised to. Not only have we helped many of our clients prevail in court, but our firm has also been successful in “landmark cases” which are cases that set precedents for the first time in court. When we prevail in a landmark case and the court recognizes the rights of those injured offshore or on vessels, the court’s decision helps everyone in the future who suffers a similar injury to more easily obtain compensation for their damages.
Our Experience With Handling Cases Under All Maritime Laws
At Lipcon, Margulies, Alsina & Winkleman, P.A., our experienced attorneys handle a wide variety of cases arising out of different maritime and admiralty laws. The types of cases we handle include claims arising out of some of the most important maritime laws governing life at sea. Our firm provides assistance with:
- Jones Act Claims: Victims injured working offshore can make a Jones Act claim to recover compensation for work injuries.
- Maintenance and Cure Claims: Seamen who are recovering from workplace injuries should have medical bills paid and daily living expenses covered. These benefits are called Maintenance and Cure benefits and a lawyer can help injured seamen get them.
- Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act Claims: Workers who do not qualify for Jones Act claims may be entitled to compensation for on-the-job injuries under the Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act. If your work was on the Outer Continental Shelf, the Outer Continental Shelf Lands Act extends the protections of the Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act to you.
- Death on the High Seas Claims: Negligence in international waters can result in death. Surviving family members and dependents may make a case under the Death on the High Seas Act.
These are just some of the many types of cases we handle that arise under maritime law. Not only do we take on attempts by cruise lines to avoid paying what is due after an injury, but our firm was also instrumental in lobbying to ensure cruise passengers were better informed of sexual assault statistics for cruise vessels. Passengers deserve to know the risks and everyone harmed at sea deserves the full compensation available by law for their damages.
Who Can We Hold Accountable for Your Injuries?
Although maritime law includes many different legal provisions protecting the rights of various workers and pleasure-cruisers, it is up to victims to actually take action to obtain what the law says they are entitled to when they have been harmed.
In many cases, it is a major cruise line or an international company that is liable for compensating victims for losses and damages. Large shipping companies and cruise lines have their own legal teams and devote many resources to try to avoid accountability. Our firm has gone head-to-head with these companies and prevailed countless times over the past 45 years.
Some of the companies our firm has taken action against on our clients’ behalf include:
- Carnival Cruise Lines
- Celebrity cruises
- Costa cruises
- Crystal Cruises
- Cunard Line
- Disney Cruise Line
- Holland America Line
- Mediterranean Shipping Cruises USA
- Norwegian Cruise Line
- Princess Cruises
- Radisson Seven Seas Cruises
- Royal Caribbean International
- Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines
- Seabourn Cruise Line
- Silversea Cruises
- Island Queen Cruises
- Antillean Marine Shipping Corp.
- Crowley Maritime Corporation
- Maersk Lines Limited
- Tropical Shipping
Our firm knows the cruise industry. We understand tactics cruise lines may sometimes utilize with the goal of paying as little as possible to victims who sustain injuries. We can overcome efforts on the part of cruise lines and shipping companies to avoid paying the tab when they are legally responsible for the injuries sustained by passengers, seamen, or other maritime workers.
When you turn to Lipcon, Margulies, Alsina & Winkleman, P.A. for help, we will carefully review the law and the circumstances of your case to identify all parties who could be held liable for losses. The long list of cruise lines and cargo companies we have sued demonstrates clearly that we are prepared and ready to help you hold even the biggest companies in the business accountable for harming you.
Our Maritime Lawyers Have the Necessary Credentials
Lipcon, Margulies, Alsina & Winkleman, P.A. has received many honors and distinctions for our work helping seamen and victims of violence or work accidents offshore. Our attorneys have been recognized as Super Lawyers, hold a preeminent rating, and are members of the Million Dollar and Multi-Million Dollar Advocates forum. Some of the many awards and distinctions our firm has been honored with include:
- Best Law Firms by US News & World report (2016-2018)
- Best Lawyers in America (2015-2017)
- AV Preeminent Rating from Martindale Hubbell (26 consecutive years)
- Super Lawyers (2008-2017)
- Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Avvo Client Choice 2014
- Avvo Superb Rating- Top Attorney Maritime
- Florida Trends Florida Legal Elite
- Global Law Experts- 2015 Awards Winner
- Lead Counsel Rated
- Top Attorneys in Florida, Miami Herald 2015
- American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys- 10 Best in Client Satisfaction 2015-2016
We have also been featured on more than 80 national news programs including CNN, The Early Show, The Today Show, The O’Reilly Factor, 20/20, Court TV, Nightline and many more. Our founding attorney Charles Lipcon is a best-selling author with publications available designed to help those who have been hurt offshore or at sea.
Decades of experience, unparalleled knowledge of maritime laws, many past success stories and our victim advocacy work have made us the go-to source for media looking for expert opinions, as well as the firm of choice for those who want the strongest possible advocates to help with their maritime and admiralty law claims. If you are hurt anywhere on open waterways or if you sustain an injury aboard a vessel or on the docks, call Lipcon, Margulies, Alsina & Winkleman, P.A. We can be reached toll-free at 877-233-1238 or contact us online for a free consultation.