To understand the rights you have while at sea, you will need to read the maritime laws that apply to your situation. The specific laws that you need to read can vary depending on why you are on a vessel on navigable waterways. For example, different laws protect cruise passengers than protect workers on offshore oil rigs or seamen who work on commercial ships.
Knowing where to find these laws is just the beginning. You also need to understand the laws, identify which legal rules apply to you, and ensure that you can use the court system to protect your interests.
Lipcon, Margulies, Alsina & Winkleman, P.A. can help you to identify the relevant laws that apply and can assist you in asserting your rights and making claims under those laws. If you need help from a maritime accident lawyer, give us a call at any time.
Where Can You Read Maritime Laws that Protect You?
If you want to read maritime laws that protect you, you can refer to the statutes that were passed and codified under federal law. These laws include:
- The Jones Act establishes the framework for recovering compensation for injury or death to a seaman is contained in Tile 46, Chapter 18, Subchapter 7, section 688.
- The Cruise Vessel Security and Safety Act of 2010, amended Title 46 of the U.S. Code in order “to establish requirements to ensure the security and safety of passengers and crew on cruise vessels, and for other purposes.”
- The time limit on bringing maritime action for personal injury or death, which is found in 46 U.S. Code § 30106.
- The Death on the High Seas Statute, which is found at 46 U.S.C.A. § 30301.
- The Federal Judiciary Act, which establishes which courts have legal authority (jurisdiction) to preside over certain maritime cases is found in 28 U.S.C.A. Section 1333 and.
These are just some of a multitude of maritime law that provide protection to those that work on a vessel or are aboard one for pleasure or travel.
Getting Help from a Maritime Accident Lawyer
Because maritime law is a field of law that applies so broadly to issues that arise on navigable waters, it can be difficult to determine the most applicable statutes to your situation. Working with an experienced attorney who knows maritime law inside and out can help you ensure that you are reading the right law and that you are fully taking advantage of your rights under the appropriate statute.
Lipcon, Margulies, Alsina & Winkleman, P.A. has published guides and advice on maritime law issues for people who face personal injuries or other situations that arise under maritime law for which they need protection. We will bring our experience to your case to help ensure that the law works for you. Give us a call today to find out more about how a maritime accident lawyer can help.