Best Law Firms (US News)
Super Lawyers Rising Star
Top 50 Personal Injury Verdicts in Florida in 2017
Michael A. Winkleman is an active trial and appellate attorney and is also a frequent contributing expert regarding maritime and cruise ship law.
Mr. Winkleman has made dozens of national television appearances regarding cruise ship law, including the Today Show, 20/20, Inside Edition, Outfront with Erin Burnett, Fox News Channel’s ‘American’s Newsroom,’ ‘Fox & Friends,’ ‘America Live,’ ‘Happening Now,’ and ‘Justice with Judge Jeanine’; as well as ‘Imus in the Morning.’
Mr. Winkleman was recently selected as a ‘Top 20 under 40 Professional’ by Brickell Magazine. He was selected as a “Superlawyer” in 2016 and 2017. Mr. Winkleman was also recently selected by Florida Trend Magazine as one of the Top Attorneys Under 40.
As featured in the Daily Business Review, Mr. Winkleman’s recent trial successes include:
- A $3.6 million dollar verdict against Carnival Corporation on behalf of the family of a deceased Italian crew member. Click here to review the article.
- A $2.36 million dollar verdict against Maersk Lines on behalf on an injured crewmember. Click here to review the article.
- A $4.4 million dollar verdict in a third party Longshoreman’s personal injury claim. Click here to review the article.
- A $970,230 verdict plus lifetime medical care against Royal Caribbean Cruises on behalf of an injured crew member.
- A $828,524 Verdict in South Florida Jet Ski Accident Case, where the accident victim suffered extensive injuries after being allowed to operate a personal water craft (PWC) without prior experience or instruction.
- A $658,983 Verdict against Carnival Corporation for a cruise ship passenger who was badly injured in the water park on the ship.
- A $3,342,440.00 award to a Honduran seaman who was denied adequate medical care after injuring his left foot aboard a cargo vessel. Click here to review the article.
Mr. Winkleman’s recent appellate success includes winning opinions from both the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals and the Third District Court of Appeals. In addition, Mr. Winkleman successfully argued in an Amicus Curiae brief before the United States Supreme Court in the landmark case of Atlantic Sounding v Townsend, which affirmed that maritime workers denied maintenance and cure may recover punitive damages under general maritime law.
Mr. Winkleman also served as a faculty instructor to the judiciary of the State of Florida at the Florida College of Advanced Judicial Studies, teaching Florida judges about Maritime Law.
Mr. Winkleman is admitted to practice in all Florida State Courts, the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida and the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals. Mr. Winkleman is a member of the Appellate Committee of the Florida Justice Association, as well as a member of the American Bar Association, the Dade County Bar Association and its Appellate Practice Committee and Judicial Outreach Committee, the Miami Dade Justice Association, the Florida Admiralty Trial Lawyers Association, and the Southeastern Admiralty Lawyers Institute.
Mr. Winkleman graduated Magna Cum Laude from St. Thomas University School of Law with his Juris Doctorate. Mr. Winkleman graduated ranked third in his class and gave the commencement address. After graduating, Mr. Winkleman interned with the Honorable Judge David M. Gersten, then Chief-Judge of the Third District Court of Appeal.
View our maritime attorney Michael Winkleman’s interviews on major news channels covering cruise ship accidents, deaths, rapes and more.