Best Law Firms (US News)
Jason R. Margulies is a board-certified admiralty and maritime lawyer, as well as a co-managing partner of Lipcon, Margulies, Alsina & Winkleman, P.A. After serving as a law clerk for the firm starting in 1992, Mr. Margulies joined the firm as an attorney. As a board certified and experienced trial lawyer, Jason handles personal injury and wrongful death claims. He has also handled hundreds of cruise ship rape and sexual assault cases. Mr. Margulies is often called upon to review and comment on national and international legal matters by the press and to serve as an expert witness on matters associated with admiralty and maritime law.
Mr. Margulies has received extensive honors and accolades over the course of his career in maritime law, including the following:
▪ Named to Best Lawyers in America® in two separate categories: (1) Admiralty & Maritime Law (2) Personal Injury Litigation – Plaintiffs (2016-2019)
▪ Named to SuperLawyers ® list as SuperLawyer, Plaintiff Personal Injury Law (2013-2019)
▪ Named to Top 50 Verdicts – Personal Injury by TopVerdict (2018)
▪ Named Top 100 Litigator in Florida by American Society of Legal Advocates (2016-2018)
▪ Named to Top 100 by The National Trial Lawyers (2017-2018)
▪ Received Top Verdict Award – Admiralty from Daily Business Review (2015)
▪ Named to 10 Best in Client Satisfaction by American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys (2015-2016)
▪ Selected as a Florida Rising Star (Maritime/Transportation Law) by SuperLawyers ® (2011)
▪ Named by Florida Trend magazine as member of Florida Legal Elite (Aviation, Admiralty & Maritime Law) (2009-2014)
▪ Martindale Hubbell rating of AV, the highest possible rating for legal ability and professional and ethical standards.
Notable Verdicts and Recoveries for Maritime Injuries and Deaths
Mr. Margulies has had extensive litigation and trial success during his career, recovering hundreds of millions of dollars on behalf of persons suffering maritime injuries and deaths around the world. His notable verdicts and recoveries include the following:
- El Faro Litigation: Spearheaded the wrongful death litigation against the shipowner arising from the 2015 El Faro tragedy, the worst U.S. maritime disaster in three decades. The S/S El Faro cargo ship was hit by Hurricane Joaquin off the coast of the Bahamas and sunk, killing the captain and 32 others onboard. Mr. Margulies and the firm represented the interests of more of the lost El Faro crew members than any other law firm in the world, recovering in excess of $10 million collectively.
- Krause v. Sea Star Lines, LLC: $5.5 million verdict in federal court (June 2015).
- Acosta v. Dantor Cargo Shipping: Verdict in excess of $3.3 million in federal court (November 2017).
- Caraffa v. Carnival: $3.6 million dollar verdict after jury trial in Florida state court (December 2014).
- Williams v. Royal Caribbean Cruises: Arbitration award of $970,230.99, plus damages for lifetime maintenance and cure worth over $2 million (April 2013).
- Kohnke v. Gozleveli: Verdict of $828,524 after bench trial in federal court (June 2015).
- Wallace v. NCL (Bahamas) Ltd.: Award of full compensatory damages and pre-judgment interest to representatives of a 100+ plaintiff case after bench trial in federal court (September 2012).
- Skye v. Maersk: Jury trial verdict of $590,574.75 against shipping line in federal court (May 2012).
- Walker v. Florida Power & Light Company: Jury trial verdict in excess of $4 million (September 2010).
Board Certification, Court Admissions and Professional Affiliations
Mr. Margulies has been a Florida Bar Board Certified Specialist in Admiralty and Maritime Law since 2013. He is admitted to practice in the following courts:
- All state and federal courts in the State of Florida
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Courts for the District of Colorado and Western District of Washington
- Supreme Court of the State of Washington
Jason also has served or is currently serving as a member of the following committees and professional associations:
- Bench and Bar Committee for U.S. District Court for Southern District of Florida
- Admiralty Law Committee for the Florida Bar
- Eleventh Circuit Grievance Committee for the Florida Bar (2013-2016)
- Florida Admiralty Trial Lawyers Association, Founding Member
- American Association for Justice
- Florida Justice Association
- National Crime Victims Bar Association
- South Eastern Admiralty Law Institute
In addition, Mr. Margulies is certified by the Supreme Court of Florida as a Circuit Court Mediator.
Education and Background
- Graduated from Cornell University Pre-Law Summer Program in 1986
- Graduated from Stern School of Business at New York University in 1992
- Graduated from the University of Miami School of Law, cum laude, in 1995
- While in law school, named Most Outstanding Third Year Member and Associate Editor of the University of Miami Inter-American Law Review
- Member of Florida Bar since 1991
“I have been honored and privileged to have had the opportunity to fight for the rights of the injured and deceased victims of preventable incidents and, in so doing, have witnessed firsthand the effects that lawsuits have in bringing about industry change to make things safer for all of us.
I think one of the most important roles we can serve in society is – when there’s a problem, to do something about it. So, I have spent my career trying to do something about the problems I have encountered; and through those successes, I hope it has contributed to a safer environment for consumers and workers.”
Regular Media Consultant on Maritime Law
View maritime attorney Jason Margulies’ interviews on major news channels covering cruise ship accidents, deaths, rapes and more.