Best Lawyers in America
Best Law Firms (US News)
Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Club
Million Dollar Advocates Club
Charles R. Lipcon is the firm’s founder and one of the preeminent maritime attorneys in the United States. Mr. Lipcon has been handling maritime lawsuits – including personal injury, wrongful death, sexual assault and rape – for over 40 years. In that time, he and his firm have recovered hundreds of millions of dollars for their clients. In addition, he has prevailed on landmark cases that have shaped maritime law and helped passengers, seamen and their families recover for the harm they suffer.
Mr. Lipcon was admitted to the Florida Bar in 1971 and opened his own law practice in 1972. He has received the following awards and recognition:
- Lawyer of the Year in Admiralty & Maritime ® by US News & World Report
- Best Lawyers in America ®
- Best Law Firms ® by US News & World Report
- Martindale-Hubbell ® rating of AV
- Superlawyers ®
- The National Top 100 Trial Lawyers
- Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Club
- Million Dollar Advocates Club
- Global Law Experts
- America’s Top 100 High Stakes Litigators
- Florida Legal Elite
- Global Law Experts
- Avvo 10
As president of the firm, Charles Lipcon focuses on litigation strategy for the complex maritime legal matters the firm handles. His team of maritime attorneys focuses primarily on admiralty, maritime and personal injury litigation against cruise lines. Mr. Lipcon also has significant experience handling aviation disasters, automobile accidents, commercial torts and class action lawsuits. He is frequently consulted for his expertise representing sexual assault or rape of passengers or crew onboard ships.
A National Merit Scholar, Mr. Lipcon graduated from the University of Miami in 1968 and obtained his law degree in 1971.
Legal Victories and Landmark Cases
Charles Lipcon is among the most well-established maritime attorneys in the United States, and whose law firm having secured over $300,000,000 for clients through favorable settlements and verdicts. In addition, he has prevailed in landmark cases that have fundamentally changed maritime law, paving the way for future cruise ship passengers and seamen to more easily obtain compensation for their injuries.
The following are some of Mr. Lipcon’s notable victories and landmark cases:
- Sosa v. M/V Lago Izabal: $25.8 million verdict in federal court on behalf of a seaman burned by an engine explosion aboard a freighter ship.
- Flores v. Carnival Cruise Lines: Established right of cruise ship crew members to receive tips as part of their salary.
- Hernandez v. The Motor Vessel Skyward: First class action ever allowed in Admiralty.
- Carlisle v. Carnival Corporation: Established liability of cruise lines for the medical negligence of onboard doctors.
Published Author and Media Expert on Maritime Law
Mr. Lipcon is the author of several popular books and publications including “Help for the Auto Accident Victim“, “Seaman’s Rights in the United States When Involved in an Accident“, The Cruise Line Law Reporterand his newest release, “Unsafe on the High Seas.” “Unsafe on the High Seas” is available on Amazon.com, iTunes and Nook as an e-book and has remained among the top 30 best-selling books in Amazon’s travel section.
A highly-sought media expert on cruise ship accidents and maritime law, Charles Lipcon is frequently interviewed by national print and television media outlets.
Admission to Courts Around the Country
Charles R. Lipcon has been admitted to practice in the following courts:
- All state and federal courts in the State of Florida
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. Court of Appeals – Fifth Circuit, Eleventh Circuit, and District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. District Courts – Southern and Middle Districts of Florida, Southern District of Texas, District of Colorado
- Florida Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Dade County Bar Association
- American Association of Justice
- Florida Justice Association
- Florida Admiralty Trial Lawyers Association
- Dade County Trial Lawyers Association
Mr. Lipcon is also a member of Mensa, the international high intelligence quotient society.
Numerous Television Interviews on Major News Channels
View Mr. Lipcon’s interviews on major news channels and programs, including ABC Nightline, NBC Nightly News, the Today Show and MSNBC, covering cruise ship accidents, deaths, rapes and more.