Lipcon, Margulies & Winkleman, P.A. are the nation’s leading maritime lawyers and are ready and able to assist San Diego residents with any maritime-related claims. Cruise ship vacations, outdoor adventures, and a prosperous maritime industry makes San Diego one of the most popular spots for residents and tourists alike. If you suffer critical injuries at sea or on the navigable waters, you may be entitled to specific types and amounts of compensation. However, since maritime law can be particularly complex, it is critical to retain the legal guidance and support of the respected San Diego maritime lawyers at Lipcon, Margulies & Winkleman, P.A.
US News & World Report named our firm “Lawyer of the Year” in Admiralty & Maritime in 2020 and our lawyers have repeatedly been named to the Best Lawyers and Superlawyers, year after year. Our team has extensive experience and is considered the nation’s top maritime injury law firm. Be sure to contact our office today to learn more about how you can recover the compensation you deserve. You can reach us by phone at 877-233-1238 to claim your free consultation.
Meet Our Maritime Lawyers
Our team of 15 full-time maritime attorneys are ready to help you get the compensation you deserve. We have offices in 7 states strategically throughout the United States, and attorneys licensed in the state of California.
Lawyer of the Year Best Lawyers in America Best Law Firms (US News) SuperLawyers Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Club Million Dollar Advocates Club
Best Lawyers in America Best Law Firms (US News) SuperLawyers Top 50 Personal Injury Verdicts in Florida in 2017
Best Lawyers in America Top 50 Personal Injury Verdicts in Florida in 2017 SuperLawyers
First Steps After A Maritime Injury
In the aftermath of your San Diego maritime accident, you may be feeling overwhelmed and confused about what to do next. For this reason, we have provided these quick, simple steps for you to follow following your maritime accident:
- Your first call should be to 911 and/or emergency responders in the area. It is important to obtain a medical evaluation immediately after the accident. You do not want to put yourself or your compensation at risk by waiting to get potentially life-saving treatment.
- While you are waiting for emergency responders to arrive, do what you can to document the accident scene. You might want to take photos of the scene including any hazardous conditions which caused or contributed to your accident, your injuries, speak with witnesses, obtain their contact information, and document the property damage at the scene of the accident.
- You are going to be required to report your injuries to your employer if this was a work-related accident. It is essential that you notify your employer in a timely manner. Generally, this will need to be done within 30 days. However, the sooner you notify your employer of your intent to seek maritime injury benefits, the better.
- Once you are medically stable, your next call should be to your San Diego maritime attorney. Your attorney will be able to start investigating the cause of your accident, gathering compelling evidence to support your case, calculating the value of your damages, and reviewing your case to determine how to maximize your compensation and benefits.
You may be struggling to cope financially, emotionally, and physically after your maritime accident. As soon as you get your attorney working on your case, you can rest easier. Our team will handle the legal details so you can heal without additional stress and anxiety surrounding a strenuous litigation process.
Cruise Lines Operating Out Of San Diego
There are multiple cruise lines currently operating out of San Diego. if you suffered injuries as a crewmember or passenger on any of the following cruise lines, do not hesitate to contact our maritime lawyers in San Diego for help:
- Holland America Line
- Disney Cruise Line
- Princess Cruises
- Norwegian Cruise Line
- Celebrity Cruise Line
Shipping Companies in San Diego
Shipping companies in San Diego are plentiful. You may have suffered devastating injuries while working as a maritime employee for some of the most well-known shipping companies, such as:
- Charles Dorsch Ships Agent, Inc.
- Mathiesen Maritime Services
- General Steamship Agencies
- Norton Lilly International
- Paxton Shreve & Hays
- TransMarine Navigation Corporation
- Eastern Car Liner USA), Inc.
- MOL ACE (Americas)
- Pasha Automotive Services
- Am-Mex International
- Approved Freight Forwarders
- Expeditors International
- JAS Worldwide
- Kuehne + Nagel
- Paxton Shreve & Hayes
Other Common Maritime Injuries in San Diego
San Diego maritime injuries can take many forms. The way in which your maritime accident occurred and your status as an employee will determine how you can recover maximum compensation for your damages. Potential options for financial recovery could include:
- Maintenance and cure under the Jones Act
- Compensation and other benefits through the Longshore and Harbor Workers Compensation Act (LHWCA)
- Damages awarded from a maritime injury lawsuit
Some of the most common types of maritime accidents and injuries our San Diego maritime attorneys handle include:
- Cruise Ship Accidents & Injuries
- Cruise Ship Rape
- Cruise Passenger Disappearances
- Cruise Ship Overboard Accidents
- Cruise Ship Drowning Accidents
- Cruise Ship Medical Malpractice
- FlowRider Accidents
- Seaman’s Claims
- Boating Accidents
- Yacht Accidents
- Jet Ski Accidents
- Parasailing Accidents
- Scuba Diving Accidents
- Barge, Cargo, and Tanker Accidents
- Commercial Fishing Accidents
- Shore Excursion Accidents
- Hotel, Resort, and Vacation Accidents
- Hotel Rape anted Sexual Assault
Take Action Before the Statute of Limitations Runs Out
Taking action on your case as soon as possible is essential if you hope to gather evidence that may only be available for a limited amount of time.
For example, if there is video footage of your maritime injury, it may only be available for a short period of time before the footage is ultimately erased, recorded over, or lost. If your attorney starts working on your case as soon as possible, we can optimize our chances of gathering compelling evidence to prove liability in your case.
Personal injury lawsuits have a statute of limitations under California law of just two years. Cruise passenger incidents usually carry a one year contractual statute of limitations and contain restrictions on where a lawsuit may be filed and maintained. If your claim is not filed before time runs out, you will lose your opportunity to pursue your case in the civil court system.
LHWCA and Jones Act claims also have statutes of limitations in place. The LHWCA requires claims to be filed within one year of the accident while Jones Act claims require claims to be filed within three years. If you are unsure how much longer you have to get your claim filed, do not hesitate to contact our experienced maritime injury attorneys for help.
Contact The Leaders In Maritime Law
No matter what type of maritime accident you were involved in, it is critical to secure a powerful legal advocate for help dealing with complex laws regarding maritime injuries and compensation. Explore your legal options further when you contact our dedicated San Diego maritime lawyers at Lipcon, Margulies & Winkleman, P.A.
Our firm proudly offers no-cost, risk-free consultations to maritime injury victims throughout San Diego and across the nation. Take advantage of this opportunity when you complete our quick contact form or call us at 877-233-1238.